Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ipsy Glam Bag - January 2014

I'm a makeup hoarder, and everyone knows it! My collection is constantly outgrowing my tiny bedroom and I have more than I can hope to use up anytime in the forseeable future. Regardless, I want more, more, more!

Ipsy has been known as primarily a makeup sub. Most months, they send out mostly makeup items with skin and haircare thrown in from time to time. And I love it for this! However, sometimes I start to get a little overwhelmed, especially when deciding what in my stash to use. So when I saw in Ipsy's spoilers that this month would be heavy on the skincare, haircare, and only a bit of makeup, I was actually excited!

The theme for January is "19 Reasons", referring to the items they are sending out as the 19 reasons that 2014 will be great...which is kind of funny because they actually ended up sending out 20 products instead of 19. (To me, the Proactiv item is NOT a reason, so it still make sense. 19 reasons and 1 regret. That is MY version of this month's theme!)

I was happy to see my bag show up in the mail. Here's what I got in my first bag for the year!

Okay, the bag itself is not so cute this month. The colors are okay, but the design just isn't my style. I would use it to organize my skincare samples, but this bag REEKS. It smells like gasoline had a baby with a pool toy. I've tried airing it out to no avail, so it's probably going into the trash. Also, one of my items leaked all over it, so the back side is stained. I was going to try to get the stain out, but since it smells like satan's chemical-laden butthole, I am not going to bother.

Proactiv Mark Fading Pads -NOOOOOO. When I saw all of the items being sent out, this is the one thing I prayed I wouldn't get. Of course I got them. I am sad. These will be going nowhere near my face, as I like my skin to NOT be beef jerky, thank you. These promise to fade dark spots and discoloration. Well, even if I was going to use them, 4 pads is not enough to really make a difference...even the directions say to allow 5 uses before you start to see results.  I'm not a brand snob by any means, but...really, Ipsy? Party foul. Maybe they can fade the dark spots in my trash can. Goodbye.

Malin + Goetz mojito lip balm - This is a soothing gel balm that promises to replenish and restore lips. I actually like this! I usually try to stick to more natural balms with organic ingredients, but I will use this one up. The ingredients are long scary sounding words, but at least it is free of petroleum and parabens! It has a nice glossy finish and the scent/flavor is very light and not overpowering. This is probably my favorite item in this month's bag! I won't rebuy it, but I will happily use it.

Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow pencil in Penny - This is smooth gel eye pencil in a shimmery goldish copper shade. It is marketed as a shadow pencil, but it is thin (the same size as a standard eye pencil) and since I have a lot of eyelid space to cover, I'll probably use it primarily as a liner! It does glide on nice and smooth. It can be subtle, but it is easily buildable. I'm actually really happy with the texture of this! I love the way it looks on the waterline, and it will also be a very pretty inner corner highlight.

Here's a swatch of the liner on skin. It is a gorgeous shimmering copper.

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! deep conditioning hair mask - This is a hair mask that promises to treat and repair dry, damaged hair. It contains avocado, sweet almond, and argan oils, as well as keratin, biotin, aloe, and vitamins! I'm working on babying my hair back to health after years of color treating, so this is beyond welcome. It smells great and I'm excited to see how it works.

Faith Aromatherapy Tahitian Monoi Anti-Aging Sugar Scrub - This is a sugar scrub for the body that promises to smooth, moisturize, and brighten skin. This is the item that leaked all over my bag, so it's a bit dried out. However, it smells very good. I love sugar scrubs and use them often. I am excited to try this one, though I'll need to add some oil to it before I do. The brand seems really great, and the ingredients are simple and fantastic.

Overall, this is a decent bag. I love everything but the god-forsaken Proactiv! I am excited to pamper my hair and skin and hopefully find two new great brands to support.

What was in your Ipsy bag this month?

No comments: