Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ipsy - February 2014

Wow, somehow it's already March! I don't know how I got so behind on everything is month, but I can't say I'm sad to see spring approaching...HOPEFULLY.

I'll start off by saying that Ipsy has been on my chopping block for a while. It's not that the products they send out are bad, and it's always great to get full sized makeup...but as they tend to use so many repeated brands and very similar product types, it's just getting less exciting for me. And, as my stash grows, it becomes more and more unlikely that they will send me anything I don't have half a dozen of. I have enough points to cash in for March, and after that Ipsy and I will be taking a break, until I see them starting to bring in a bigger variety of brands and products.

That said, here's what I got for February!

Ipsy's theme for February is "The Look Of Love". That's always a good thing, right? I love Valentine themed things, pink things, love things! I was optimistic that Ipsy would make me happy this month. Well...

The bag itself is cute and simple. It is pink, with a slightly rounded top. It has a pink leopard print inside. I love pink, so I've already put this in my bag, it's perfect for holding the teabags I like to take to work with me.

POP Beauty Plump Pout Mini in Peony Petal - This is a mini lipgloss in a pretty pink color that promises to plump lips. Okay, I am not huge on lipgloss and I have a ton of them, so I was just going to put this aside and gift it. However, I started seeing ladies on Makeuptalk complain that theirs smelled terrible, like chemicals, gasoline, and burned rubber. Curiosity got the best of me, and I opened it...YEAH. So glad I didn't gift this. It smells like burning tires with gas poured on top. I would never put anything that smelled like this anywhere near my mouth! Apparently it is not the "normal" smell so these minis might have gone bad somewhere...but I have glosses that are years old and none of them smell like this. It makes me wonder what you're putting in there to make them smell so awful when they DO go off. I wasn't a big fan of POP beauty anyway, but now I will not be putting anything they make anywhere near my face. Ipsy is sending those who complain a replacement...I got mine today. They sent me another POP gloss which smells as bad as the first, and a Buxom gloss in Dolly, which does not smell and I'm happy to get. 

j. cat beauty eyelashes - Okay, Ipsy. I CANNOT APPLY FAKE LASHES TO SAVE MY LIFE. Why you keep insisting on sending them to me is beyond me, but please stop. If I try them, they are destroyed and wasted, the value is barely worth trading, and I don't have anyone nearby to gift them to. Just stop. I've pawned a dozen pairs of lashes off on people over the last year, and I've had quite enough. Send them to someone who will love them properly.

Zoya nail polish in Dot - It's hard to see the color in the picture, it is a very pretty baby pink. I was hoping for the purple shade they sent out, but this one is nice, too! I don't wear much baby pink polish, as I find it hard to work with (and I'm not that great with nail polish to begin with) but I like this one enough to replace my current light pink with it! I'm always happy to get Zoya, it remains my favorite polish brand.

First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser - This is a cleanser that contains red clay to unclog pores. I love a good cleanser, and I like this brand, so I was excited to get this! I've been using it this week, and it's really nice. I would consider buying it again once I use up some of my current stash of cleansers! I love the ingredients and the way it helps balance out my combination skin. A+ on picking this one for me, Ipsy.

Jesse's Girl 9 pan eyeshadow palette in The Eyes Have It (greens) - Well, you know I love eyeshadow, and these colors are gorgeous. However, I was a bit disappointed to get this. I had previously tried a shadow palette by Jesse's Girl, and the quality was just awful - patchy, no pigmentation, and hard to blend. I decided to try this one anyway, and while it isn't as bad as the other I tried, the quality is still not good. I will take it in to work and use it for "makeover days" with my residents. I love Jesse's Girl eye pens, but the shadows leave much to be desired!


This is just not a good Ipsy month for me. I love the cleanser and Zoya, so it's not a total loss (and those two items are worth my $10), but it definitely cemented my decision to cancel for a while after March (unless March ends up being amazing). I'm just looking for actual discovery, new shades, products, brands, etc and Ipsy is just sending me the same low quality brands and products over and over with the occasional awesomeness thrown in. It's great if you're trying to build up your makeup collection, but when you already have a lot, like I do, it really becomes more about discovery than quantity.

What do you think of this month's Ipsy bag?


No comments: